John Piper tweeted yesterday: “There is only one person God has treated worse than he deserved.”
Some thoughts on this.
There are only three possibilities related to being “deserving.”
1. One can be treated “equal to what one deserves.” This is Justice.
2. One can be treated “better than one deserves.” This is Mercy or Grace.
3. One can be treated “worse than one deserves.” This is Injustice.
All human beings receive from God either #1 Justice or #2 Mercy.
1. People can receive God’s Justice by being justly punished for their deeds.
2. People can alternately receive God’s Mercy by being forgiven through Jesus Christ.
That leads to two questions: “How does #2 work?” and “Is there then anyone who has ever received #3 Injustice?”
Those are the questions answered in Piper’s tweet.
There is only one person God has treated worse than he deserved: Himself.
The bible is clear that ultimately God alone is treated unjustly (that is, treated worse than He deserves). Jesus received Injustice so that He could bestow the riches of His Mercy to those that would believe in Him.
Because of this in the end every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. No one in heaven or in hell will be able to say that he was treated unfairly. That statement is reserved for Christ’s lips alone.
The greatness of God is beyond measure and His humility staggers my heart.